« RFID: a pathway to your soul? | Main | The shirt says it all! »

January 16, 2006

VeriChip or dog chip?

VeriChip Home Again chip rice and dime.jpg

There are two glass encapsulated RFID tags pictured above. One is intended for human flesh, the other for the scruff of your pet's neck. Which is which?

Answer: The chip pictured at the top is VeriChip's VeriMed chip that former U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Tommy Thompson would like to see implanted in all Americans. Directly below the human chip is the animal chip marketed by Schering-Plough under the "Home Again" brand name.

There's no visible difference between the chips. They look the same, and they're both manufactured by subsidiaries of VeriChip's parent company Applied Digital Solutions. The whitish substance on the end of the chips is an anti-migration coating called "biobond" that encourages tissue growth so the chip doesn't move around inside of the animial--human, feline, or canine.

There is a technical difference between the chips that you wouldn't see with the naked eye. The pet chip contains a 10-digit number while the human chip contains a 16-digit number. I asked VeriChip spokesman John Procter why the human version contained 16-digits. His reply: "flexibility." He said the company wanted to ensure there would be enough unique numbers available for all the people it envisions chipping. Yikes!

Note: The VeriChip corporation tries to ease consumer fears by referring to the chip as being "about the size of a grain of rice." The rice in the photo above is long-grain rice--the longest grain I could find in my pantry. As you can see, the VeriChip is much larger.

- Liz McIntyre

Posted by liz at January 16, 2006 3:33 PM

Comments

Wow! That's Sweet. I didn't realize they were so small. This would so speed up the checkout! I bet there are a lot of people thinking this is the sign of the beast :-p I didn't know they had the human version yet. Where can we purchase one of these?

Posted by: Bobby at January 25, 2006 8:40 PM

I'd be more concerned if it were smaller than any grain of rice. The bigger the better so that you can know to get rid of them

Posted by: Noid at January 30, 2006 8:49 PM

The Problem about getting rid of them is that they will probably know when you do.

Posted by: Concerned citizen at February 9, 2006 12:44 AM

What scares Me even more than the obvious RFID tag is the "Biobond"
what is it anyway? how do you know what it could do along with the chip..
not to wax biblical? but the Book Of Revelations says something about those with the "Beasts'" Mark being afflicted with sores that won't heal?
could(if it were true) be the Biobond?
YIKES!

Posted by: thmspane at February 24, 2006 3:53 AM

So, is that base 2, base 10 or base 16 digits?

2^16 is 65,536 by far too small. I'm going to assume 16 hex based digits or 16^16. That's 1.8446744073709552e+19!

That looks like enough numbers in the human tag to RFID tag every insect on the planet.

en(dot)wikipedia(dot)org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(numbers)

Posted by: Standard Mischief at March 6, 2006 3:33 PM

I dont want this in my body or my pets body.... people are not livestock to be tagged with chips or anything else.... it all reminds me of all the sci-fi movies Ive ever seen..... End Times or not, I do not like the idea that the chip can tell other chips how much money you have, your age or what kind of underwear you are wearing..... I already think we have too much intrusion by companies pushing their products in our lives already.... so its just gonna get worse? Land of the Free? Free to do what exactly?

Posted by: Johnny at March 16, 2006 5:57 PM

WHY BOTHER TO COMENT WHEN ANOTHER WANTS TO CONTROL WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY .A SMOKE SCREEN TO SHELTER THE TRUTHS AH?

Posted by: 5PLANET ZEROS at April 22, 2006 5:50 PM

While this is qite possibly prophetic in nature it is also a typical move by those in power. It is their purpose to control the elements of the business they manage. We, of course, are those elements. Having fallen asleep to this manipulation (and of course I am speaking of the majority of these elements, not those reading these words) such controlls have been foisted upon us in many ways. There will be no response from the managers without our revolt. Unfortunately for us few, the sleeping majority may allow them to have their way.

Posted by: Manfred Mayer at June 1, 2006 2:38 AM

A great way to save poor dogs and cats that become lost. A chip CAN save their innocent life and return them to their "family" owners.
Get one, but FIRST make sure that the animal shelter/pound near you CAN READ the type of chip... many companies purposely do not have the same type of "reader" so the can get their chip and reader sold, and the other dog dies because it does not have "their" reader. Stupid. MUST be a universal code insistedon by ALL animal shelters.

Keep your pets safe and cool in summer and warm in winter.

Posted by: Pat at August 1, 2006 4:05 PM

I wouldn't put this chip in a dog!

Posted by: Anonymous at September 4, 2006 4:58 PM

EXATLY MY POINT ON THE LAST QUESTION BUT IF YOU DO NOT TAKE THE BIO CHIP OR VERI CHIP YOUR HEAD OR YOUR BODY WILL BE JAILED OR YOUR HEAD MAY BE CHOPPED OFF.

WE ARE IN THE END TIMES, PEOPLE. ARE YOU READY? I WONT BE HERE WHEN THEY FINALY PASS A LAW AROUND THE WORLD WORLD WIDE SOMETIME IN 2007 ON JUNE 12TH OR SOMETIME IN 2007 SOMETHING SHOULD HAPPEN, THAT THE MARK OF THE BEAST SHOULD BE COMING AND SOON BUT AGAIN I SAY AGAIN THIS IS OUR FINAL DAYS HERE ON EARTH ENJOY IT WHILE YOU STILL CAN THERE ISN'T MUCH TIME LEFT ON EARTH.

I'LL BE WITH THE LORD JESUS CHRIST MY SAVOUR OF ALL THINGS PAST FUTURE AND PRESENT AMEN. ANYONE WHO EXCEPT THIS MARK OF THE BEAST WILL GO TO HELL.. YES HELL EXIST, WE JUST DON'T SEE HELL IN OUR EYES OR HEAVEN IN OUR EYES. WE CANNOT PROVE THAT EITHER ONE EXIST BUT THEY DO. WE JUST CAN'T PROVE IT THAT'S ALL.

SO I SAY AGAIN ANYONE WHO EXCEPT THE MARK OF THE BEAST AND GETS CHIPS YOU WILL BE TORMENTED DAY AND NIGHT FROM SATAN THE DEVIL HIMSELF WILL PUNISH YOU FOR EXCEPTING THE CHIP IN THE FIRST PLACE. ALL PEOPLE WHO TAKES THE MARK OF THE BEAST WILL GO TO HELL FOR IT. REVELATION 13 TELLS ALL.

Posted by: TREVOR D HILSENBERG at October 6, 2006 2:09 PM

Yeah, perhaps ignore all the capital letters, but its true that St. John saw a vision 2000 years ago of everybody accepting a mark on their forehead or right hand, and you wouldn't be able to buy or sell without it.
Expect to see the rise of what the Bible calls the "antiChrist", someone who seems REALLY nice, wants to end world poverty and promises peace in the middle east, and just happens 2 try and take over the entire world governments doing it. Of course he's not all he seems (secretly possessed by Satan) and eventually will cause the world to worship him.
The Mark of the Beast, whether its the microchip or otherwise, will be an integral part of this, and people who refuse (Christians and others) will be persecuted.
This all seems like a load of crap now- until it happens. When you find out that money and cards are becoming obsolete, and you need a chip to buy stuff- watch out!

Posted by: yo at November 2, 2006 8:05 PM

I think that the creators of this "chip" should be put into his .

Another problems we have in this world!!

Posted by: YAX at November 20, 2006 5:23 PM

These are just the chips manufactured by VeriChip in 2005. It's now 2007 and the chips can be made about 1mm. Basically, whether you want it or not, it could be implanted in a tooth or crown, or even during any minor surgery. How would you know?

I don't ever want anyone having that much control or knowledge of me. I am none of "their" business unless I want to be.

Posted by: Diane at March 22, 2007 6:56 PM

I've been wondering about the possibility of rejection to the Verichip. I have psoriasis, a disease where the helper T cells of the immune system attack the skin. I've had flare-ups that are very uncomfortable and painful.

As with body modifications, I've had rejection occur twice with two ear cartilage pierces. It hasn't happened to any others, though I'm forced to use titanium jewelry.

Isn't there a possibility where the Verichip can be rejected by the body with an abnormal immune system?

Posted by: Sela at April 13, 2007 7:10 AM

JESUS IS COMING ARE YOU READY

Posted by: at May 25, 2007 12:59 PM

Say goodbye to your pet, if you allow your pet to be chipped. We must stand up and protest against the makers of the Home Again chip. If people say animals don't have souls, well I say neither do we. Now don't go thinking that I'm an atheist. I am making a philosophy that animals do have souls, because God created them for us to take of.

Posted by: Josh Taylor at June 20, 2007 11:53 AM